Sunday, October 18, 2009

Online Reading (Homework due 10/27)

Since I assign research projects I have given this a lot of thought. My own kid who is ten will put anything in the URL--spiders.com, or pudgerodriguez.com--to try to find the information he wants. That's pretty scary, especially considering that when you type in martinlutherking.org you get an anti-king site. So when I assign research projects I ask students to find most of their information from the library data-bases. The student resource center has tons of information and it is all reliable. They can also find articles that are written for their reading levels, which can be helpful for those lower level readers. If they do use google, I encourage them to find sites within the .edu or .gov domains. I know they still use random sites, so I tell them that at the very least they need to know who the source is--where the information is coming from, and to corroborate the information in some way.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Dena,
    You definitely sound like you have considered this topic with your students. When you say that you have them look at information from the library database, do you mean from the school library or from any type of library?
    See you soon,
    ~Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also worry about my own children searching the web. A few years ago my daughter who was in middle school was researching something completely innocent. I think she was researching laundry detergents for a science fair research project. She was stressing out because it was taking her a long time to find the information she needed. I told her I would do a little searching for her while she worked on other homework. Almost immediately I got porno pictures. Even with our school’s firewall which won’t let any of us on YouTube, students can get to pornographic material. The Web can be a very scary place, especially if you have children (or students).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dena,
    Yes, I have the same question as Ms C. Coolish and that is which library data base? What do you think about Wikipedia? Our librarian does not like it but I use it and my students use it all the time.

    Julia White

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dena,

    First of all, can you show me how you got these polka dots? I like the way they look.

    Anyway, what kind of research projects do you give your students?

    Thanks, Anne, Oceana HS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Dena.
    Thanks for your comment about having access to library databases. That was enough for me to discuss this with our school's librarian who is trying to reconstruct our databases. She has to find out the passwords.

    ReplyDelete