Monday, November 16, 2009

Homework Due 11/11

On the day that the students had to nail down the status-quo of their controversial issues I really learned what a hard time they were having with the project. To research facts to support the affirmative and negative sides was relatively easy, but when they had to actually find facts the students had a rough time. Since they had to verify the information, most of them ended up getting the correct information; however, it took many of them a long time. The day after this was due I had students meet with the opposing teams to make sure everyone had the same status-quo, and for the most part they did.

Another thing I taught the students that many of them used was googledocs. It was fun for them to be able to create a document with their partner and, I think, helpful for many of the students. Several groups used it for the bibliographical information, cutting and pasting the source citations to a single, shared page. This saved a lot of time for the person who had to put the whole thing together.

The project has been going well. I think that I have more confidence teaching the researching component now that I feel a bit more comfortable.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dena,
    It sounds like the Google docs worked out well for you. I wasn't as ambitious as you and let them choose whether or not to do the computer project. How many days did you bring them to the computer lab?
    All of this seems so time consuming but it seems like this is expected of students in college so we better get them prepared. See you soon.
    ~Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dena
    This is exciting to read and we look forward to hearing more about it in class
    ~Kathleen

    ReplyDelete